I’ve just been to view a cottage I feel quite positive about. Blogging here in the hope it’ll help reach a decision on it. It’s a living room and a kitchen/diner downstairs, with bathroom and three bedrooms upstairs. The overall size is just about enough to be comfortable, with the pleasant dining area and better second-bedroom size being clear advantages compared to the current place. Above all, it’s going to be quieter than here.
- Solid cottage build with thick walls, modernised to a decent standard and in good decorative order.
- Meets all my basic needs without serious shortcomings.
- Village location presumed quiet (except for the church which is right next door, and tolled the hour while I was there).
- Easy cycling into the city, and walkable to Tesco. Also edge of Dartmoor.
- Adequate ‘phone signal (though no 3g) and ADSL.
- No outdoor storage, so the bike has to occupy indoor space. The current tenants have one bedroom as a storage room with bikes, surfboards, etc; I’d have to do similar. So no spare room, just one bedroom + one office.
- No gas: electric heating for hot water, and night storage heating. Can’t see myself using that and having it hot all day (unless I were to go down with a lurgy sufficiently bad to need warmth) which loses the convenience of being able to turn the heating on if I have visitors who expect it. As against that, there’s a working fireplace in the sitting room that could serve, in principle at least.
- There’s a horrible built-in oven and hob. The latter (which is what I mostly use) is solid electric. This is what I’ll find a daily pain 😦
- The garden is going to be hard work, with an expanse of very uneven lawn to manage.
- Lacking a few nonessential nice-to-haves, like real views, or space for a dishwasher, or a w.c. separate from the bathroom.
So do I take it, or go on looking?