Dear Lazyweb (UK), can anyone tell me how near I can come to relying on a provisional yes from BT’s broadband availability checker?
I’ve just seen a very nice cottage I’m interested in taking. But it’s in a small and rather remote (by UK standards) village. The current occupier has no broadband, and the agent is clearly ignorant (thought Sky – which the current occupier does have – was broadband). BT’s checker returns a noncommittal:
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line rate up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our check also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 1Mbps or greater.
If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.
Thank you for your interest.
That’s fine if I can rely on it! But obviously, losing broadband loses me my ability to perform my job, or do other business for which I’m qualified effectively. BT won’t give me anything more definite until the ‘phone line is mine and I’ve ordered ADSL, and this is not a risk I can even insure against! To cap it all, the village is in a valley and has no mobile signal, so mobile broadband isn’t an option either.