Daily Archives: March 20, 2008
Can one, these days, get a mortgage on something like the following terms? Since I’ve lost the tax-flexibility of self-employment, I need to find some way to avoid getting the worst of all worlds.
- Regular payments of interest only.
- Tax-efficient saving to repay, using a self-invested personal pension (augmented by my company pension if necessary).
- Repayment on taking my pension, using the tax-free lump sum.
- Offset account to enable early partial payments on a flexible basis.
- Offset amount to include, or at least account for, existing ISA savings.
- Flexible final repayment date.
Not, of course, that I want a mortgage in a falling market. Except … property available to rent in the UK leaves something to be desired, and I’m not getting any younger.
(I expect the “M” word will collect spambots to this article, like flies to a corpse. So any comment that shows no sign of having read my words will not be given the benefit of the doubt).