Daily Archives: September 13, 2007
I got another letter today, from the US IRS. It’s all part of the ITIN saga. This one says they’re refusing me an ITIN, because I already have one.
Well, that’s true. But, erm, I didn’t when I applied. Let’s review the chronology of it:
- Late February: initial application with (expensive) supporting documentation. According to their literature, I should have it within six weeks.
- Early May: Nine weeks after applying, I try to follow it up. They can’t find it!
- Later May: Apply a second time, this time in person at the US embassy in London. This one will take up to twelve weeks.
- Mid-August: the ITIN finally arrives, about twelve weeks after the second application.
- Today: Letter arrives refusing an ITIN because I already have one.
My guess is that both applications finally got processed, though now I’ve no idea which one brought me the August number, and which led to today’s rejection. I just have to hope they won’t give me any more trouble. I think my executive summary from August still stands.