You know it’s summer when …
- It’s broad daylight at this hour (21:15)
- You have freshly-made gooseberry fool, cherry pie, and a punnet of strawberries in the fridge, and the pods of fresh peas on the drainer.
- Light white wines that in other seasons seem a bit thin taste wonderful, and hefeweizen becomes the best of all beers.
- The idiot drivers are out in numbers on the roads.
- You go for a swim at Lopwell Dam, and find not only lots of people having a wholesome good time, but some thoroughly unpleasant types in a 4×4 camping by the “no camping” signs and spreading their crap everywhere.
There are fantastic colours everywhere. But the insects seem far fewer than they should be in this season. Hmmm ….